What are scalp scabs? In it’s least harmful of forms it is simply a minor lesion that may have been caused by over scratching. In a more harmful form it can be a skin ailment such as Scalp Psoriasis. Scalp Psoriasis is a disease that usually presents itself as scabs on scalp or spots on the scalp. This condition is a very common problem that a lot of people face and it is important be given proper treatment because it can be very irritating and could cause discomfort and pain. Now, it is important to understand that scabs on scalp do not come from a condition itself, but it is usually caused by scratching.
What are the causes for Scabs on Scalp?
• Scratching- The common cause of scalp scabs is scratching. When the skin or scalp is regularly scratched, it would easily break and a lesion would form. When the lesion is formed, it then heals and results to a scab.
• Oily scalp- Most people who are prone to scabs on scalp are those with oily scalp. Most often, oily scalp associated with most sores that eventually lead to scalp scabs. This is typical because the fungus that causes dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and other scalp problems feed off these oils.
• Eczema- Eczema is a skin condition marked by scab like bumps or thick skin that may leak fluid. This would cause sufferers small brown or red colored patches. When the skin will be extremely itchy, this may then cause scabbing because of the excessive scratching.
• Psoriasis- Psoriasis may also cause scalp scabs on the scalp. This skin condition is caused by white blood cells that unintentionally attack the healthy skin cells. When these cells build up on the surface of the skin, it creates thick dandruff like scales and red patches. This condition can be painful but it can also be a simple cosmetic issue.
• Shingles- Shingles may also cause the production of scabs on scalp. This condition is none threatening viral infection and painful that comes from the similar virus that causes chicken pox. Shingles is commonly marked by blisters and rashes and when these rashes dry up, it would crust over and result to a scab like appearance on the skin.
How to Cure Scabs on Scalp?
• Virgin Oil- Virgin oil is a very effective and simple home remedy for scabs on scalp. Simply comb the hair using a wide tooth comb, in order to distribute the oils thoroughly in the hair and scalp. Cover the hair with a shower cap and leave it there for about 10 minutes. Rinse and wash the hair with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. This will sooth scalp scabs and scalp irritations.
• Tar Shampoo – This shampoo can be found in a grocery or drugstore. The tar shampoo contains special tars that effectively treat scalp scabs and other scalp conditions fast. This treatment has been proven effective. The best way to apply this treatment is to wet the hair, apply the shampoo and work the shampoo into a thick lather. Leave it on the scalp and hair for 15 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
• Steroidal cortisone cream- Another effective remedy for scabs on scalp is by applying a steroidal cortisone cream. This is usually prescribed by a dermatologist, which would help the condition go into remission. When the scabs are removed, the cream can easily reach the scalp and treat the root cause of the scalp disease.
How to Prevent Scabs on Scalp?
• Buy a humidifier and install it at home- Most scabs on scalp usually occur during cold season or winter. Now, the best method to prevent the occurrence of this skin condition is to make use of a humidifier to add moisture in the home.
• Avoid hair dying- If you can avoid hair dying, and then do so. If this is not avoided, then try to find a hair dye that does not contain para-phenylenediamine, which is a common hair dye ingredient that causes itching and irritation to the scalp, which leads to scabs on scalp. Make sure to check the ingredients first before buying and applying a hair dye to your hair.
• Apply moisturizer to the scalp regularly- Another preventive method to prevent scabs on scalp is to apply moisturizer such as petroleum jelly. Regular moisturizing of the scalp can prevent dandruff and other scalp conditions that triggers scabs on scalp. These products can be found in a drugstore or grocery stores.
Scabs on scalp may be a common scalp condition, but there is nothing to be alarmed by this disease because there are so many effective treatments to apply. However, the best way to battle this skin condition is through preventative methods.